What happens when gears are connected? Do they rotate together, at the same speed, direction, or with similar force? Kids truly experience gears through this activity; growing their understanding through tinkering and experimentation as they complete optional labs and challenges. Labs cover fractions (Grades 3-4) and proportions (Grades 6-8), and challenges range from kinetic sculptures to making amusement park rides. After the bases and gears are assembled, they can be reused year after year.
Includes different documents for different ages. Some adult assistance is helpful for second grade and younger.
TeacherGeek solves the frustrations of STEM/STEAM/makerspaces for teachers and kids:
- READY-TO-GO PACKS – just hand them out and get started: pre-divided 10-packs include printed guides and plenty of extra parts
- AMAZING EDITABLE CURRICULUM – award-winning, editable documents, videos, labs, challenges, and more get kids designing, investigating, and competing in challenges
- STANDARDS ALIGNED – curriculum is teacher designed and aligned to NGSS, CCSS, ITEEA, and state standards
- REAL ENGINEERING – kids actually design, test, redesign, and repeat; there’s no perfect design, so kids are never done making
- REAL DATA – data so good kids can measure the effects of design changes, even using the data to complete optional science labs
- RECYCLING BIN INNOVATION – recycling bin + TeacherGeek = even more creativity
TeacherGeek is not a toy; it’s way better! Kids love making real things, especially when they get to use age-appropriate tools.