The official solar panel of the Junior Solar Sprint competition, the Ray Catcher® measures 265.91 mm x 126.21 mm x 3 mm (thick) for a total surface area of 33,559 mm2. It is built of lightweight, yet superstrong, high-impact fiberglass laminate and is weather resistant. The panel weighs 126 grams and has an output of 2.9 volts at 1.1 amps. Includes 8" color-coded lead wires.
- Durable leads – the 8" leads on the panel are soldered and epoxied. It takes a lot of abuse to remove or break them!
- Only 3 mm thick, but durable – the photovoltaic material is sandwiched between an extra-strong fiberglass backing and a transparent laminate covering.
- Reusable – due to the extra-strong construction techniques, these panels can be used over and over each year.
- Smart internal wiring – the cells within the panel are wired in parallel – so if the panel should be cracked for any reason, only a percentage of the panel will not work.
- Easy mounting – each panel has two holes for easy connection of the Ray Catcher to the car.
- Tinned leads – the leads are tinned to ensure easy soldering when attaching to the motor.
- Polycrystalline cells – manufacturing these cells requires 20% less energy than manufacturing standard solar cells.